FoodFaithMarriageParentingWomanhoodReviews

Saturday, April 30, 2011

More like a raging sea

It's funny the way God works.

A few days ago I posted the chorus to one of my favorite songs by Mikeschair

"There's a raging sea right in front of me
Wants to pull me in, bring me to my knees
So let the waters rise if you want them to
I will follow you, I will follow you"

I did this simply because the song came on the radio and I thought it was inspirational (for other people).

But it's funny the way God works.

I have a confession to make. I have a small overwhelming and sinful fear of cancer. Breast cancer, skin cancer, and as of recently, now lymphoma. A little over a year ago I was convinced I had breast cancer. I spent weeks sobbing over it, I was absolutely and inconsolably afraid. An ultrasound showed that the lump I thought was a tumor was just a normal mass of tissue.

Relief... temporarily.

Two days ago while showering I discovered that the lymph node in my left armpit felt swollen. Needless to say I have a doctors appointment on Monday, because I have once again allowed my fear of cancer and death to overwhelm me. I have visions of leaving my family, nightmares of my daughters growing up without a mother, never remembering me, not being able to see them take their first steps, tell me they love me for the first time, get married, have children of their own. I cry, and cry, and cry.

See, we all have a weakness, and Satan knows them, and he certainly knows this is mine. This is my most painful thorn in the flesh.

Here's the thing about that song, the chorus is filled with faith and courage, but here are the first two verses

"Don't know where to begin, it's like my world's caving in
And I try but I can't control my fear - Where do I go from here?

Sometimes it's so hard to pray when You feel so far away
But I am willing to go where you want me to - God, I trust You"

Hello, conviction, my name is Ashley.

I don't believe in coincidence, so the fact that I posted this song mere hours before it became my reality speaks volumes to my heart. God was preparing me for my personal storm before I even had any idea that the sky was darkening.

James 1:6 - But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

Wave? No. This is more like a raging sea.

I don't know what's going to happen on Monday. I'm hoping and praying that the doctor will tell me that I am, once again, over-reacting. But this is life, so there is a chance that he might not. There is a chance that I will not hear what I'm praying to hear. Will I still so jovially proclaim that I will follow him into the rising water then? This is something that I am working on and praying about - would you, if you remember, keep me in your prayers as well?

Lord, how I want to confidently follow you into any storm! Strengthen my heart, increase my faith, for I know that those who ask with full faith in you will receive that which they have asked for.


(to be continued...)

1 comment:

  1. Ash - I understand your fears but God ain't done with you yet. He gave you and Marcus two precious gifts and you have a lot of work ahead of you with the girls. He entrusted them to you so you could teach them about strength, compassion, goodness and about Him. Although they are still a bit young, this is one of those lessons about strength you will be teaching them when they are a bit older. You will be able to tell them about how Mom was once scared but that you were strong, trusted in God and got through it. Think of each difficult moment as an opportunity to teach those lovelies down the road. God doesn't give us any more than we can handle and even though I'm going through my own horrendous struggle I know I'll eventually make it though and you will too. Love you! xoxo Susan G.

    ReplyDelete