FoodFaithMarriageParentingWomanhoodReviews

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Leading by example

This morning I was doing my daily devotions and I was in Genesis 22. You know the story; God wanted to test Abraham, so he told him to sacrifice his son, Isaac. The two traveled to Mount Moriah where Abraham built an alter and was about to offer his son to God, when an angel of the Lord stopped him. He had passed the test.

If you're anything like me you have heard this message time and time again - a message of faith and obedience. But today when I was reading, that's not what came to me. Now, I am convinced that Isaac knew exactly what was going on by the time they reached the mountain and built the alter. There is no word of a struggle, of Isaac trying to flee or of him pleading for his life with his father. No, I believe that Isaac was ready and willing to let his father sacrifice him. And this is what spoke to me. Did God talk to Isaac and tell him what he had commanded his father to do? That everything was going to be alright? Maybe. But, and this is only my personal theory, I don't really think so. I believe that Isaac's compliance came from the fact that he simply trusted his father to do God's will and what was best for him.

What a concept. I want that. I want to be so solid in my obedience to God, so blatent in my love for and service to him that my children would follow my lead, do as I say without question, because they fully and completely trust that I am doing God's will and what I believe is the best thing for them. I want them to trust me, even when they don't understand, when they can't see the point or the purpose - and it all starts with my obedience. Oh how I want to be an Abraham, not only in service to God, but in service to my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment